These petite fellows are so quick and easy to whip up and are prepared in less than half an hour. Not only are they good as snacks, they can be served as an after-dinner dessert. The best thing about the recipe that I liked is that you can satisfy your cheesecake craving without having to bake a whole cheesecake.
You can either bake the cheesecakes in a muffin pan, individual aluminum foil mini cupcakes cups, or cupcakes pan. I used a cupcakes pan which yielded 9 cheesecakes. First you make a lovely golden brown crust with the help of a graham crackers, butter and sugar mixture pressed in cups.
Then make a smooth, creamy mixture of cream cheese, sugar, lemon zest and egg.
And here’s the yummy end result
You can serve them with any pie filling like cherry, strawberry, blueberries or even caramel and chocolate. The ideas are endless.
Here’s the recipe in detail.
Ingredients for the crust:
1/3 cup graham crackers/any type of crackers that you have on hand
1 tablespoon ground white sugar
1 tablespoon of butter (at room temp.)/margarine (melted)
Ingredients for the batter:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (at room temp.)
1/4 cup ground white sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 6 cup muffin pan or 8 cupcakes pan.
- Make crumbs from the crackers by grinding in a mixer. You can also grind the 1/4 cup+1 tablespoon sugar at this point.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter/margarine with a fork until combined. Grease the muffin/cupcake pan with a little bit of shortening or butter.
- Measure a rounded tablespoon of the mixture into the bottom of each muffin cup, pressing firmly. It will take about half a tablespoon for the cupcake pan. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 2-3 minutes, then remove to cool. Keep the oven on.
- Beat the cream cheese till creamy and there are no lumps left. Add in sugar, lemon zest (you can also add in a teaspoon and a half of lemon juice if you like tangy flavour) and vanilla until fluffy.
- Beat the egg lightly in a small bowl. Mix (don’t beat) in the egg.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into the muffin cups/cupcake cups, filling each until 3/4 full. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 10-12 minutes. Don’t let the cheesecakes crack and turn golden on top. Make sure they stay a bit undone in the middle the batter will set even after taking out of the oven. And do remember that cheesecakes in the muffin pan will take more time to bake.
- Cool completely in pan before removing. Refrigerate until ready to serve (if you can resist not eating).
- Serve with your favourite topping.
Preparation Time: 1/2 hour